ビジネスへの知見も深めるアプリケーションエンジニア

Interview Applying engineering skills
and honing business acumenApplications Engineer

• 日本語

• ENGLISH

Profile 職種 アプリケーションエンジニア
入社 2020年
出身 電気電子工学専攻

学生時代は主に航空宇宙工学について学び、人工衛星の制御システムを中心に研究を深める。自身が持っていたエンジニアリングの知識を生かし、ビジネスについても知見を深めることのできる会社を希望しルネサス エレクトロニクスへ入社。

ルネサス入社まで 自己成長とワークライフバランスを共にかなえる企業

ルネサス入社までルネサス入社まで

私は元々、スーダンで人工衛星プロジェクトに取り組むため航空宇宙工学を学んでいました。残念ながら、このプロジェクトは中止になってしまったため、急遽会社探しを始めたのが私の就職活動の始まりです。理系の学生として自身のスキルを高められるようなテクノロジー企業、職場の雰囲気が良くワークライフバランスを保つことができる企業を軸に活動していました。

活動を進める中、ルネサスと出会ったのはとある就職イベントでした。そこでお話を伺った先輩社員がとても素敵な方々で、興味を惹かれました。また、その社員からルネサスの柔軟な勤務制度やフラットな職場の雰囲気などを聞き、本命の企業として選考に進んだことを覚えています。私がこの職種を選んだ理由としては、エンジニアリングのバックグラウンドを生かしつつビジネスも学びたいと思ったため、技術系職種の中でも顧客と関わる機会の多いアプリケーションエンジニアがぴったりだと考えたからです。

仕事のやりがい 顧客が独自アプリケーションを実現できるよう支援

現在所属しているのは、バッテリーマネジメントソリューションに携わる部門です。中でも、携帯電話やラップトップPC、その他工業製品で使用されるリチウムイオン電池のバッテリーマネジメントに使用される、FGIC製品を専門としています。正確なバッテリーの残存容量計算やセルバランシング制御など、さまざまな条件下でもバッテリーの安全な動作を確保できるようにするのが私の任務です。さらに、ファームウェアの開発とソフトウェアソリューションの提供も行っており、顧客がFGICを利用して独自のアプリケーションを実現できるように支援しています。

日々の業務として多いのは、アルゴリズムの開発と検証、テストです。例えば、ある仕様に基づいてコードを作成した後、コードの読み込みの際に正しく動作しているかを確認する作業があります。この時には、テストする項目リスト(仕様に基づく動作と予想される実際の動作など)を考え、コードが正しく作動するかを確認し、それを示す証拠を整理しなければなりません。万が一、リスト項目でNGが生じた際には、その理由を見つけるための原因究明を行っています。私はこのようなトラブル発生時も、パズルを解くような気持ちで楽しんで取り組んでいます。

仕事のやりがい仕事のやりがい

トラブル発生時も、
パズルを解くような気持ちで
楽しんで取り組んでいます。

職場 日本での生活やプライベートの相談もできる温かい環境

職場

私の部署では、およそ20名の仲間が働いています。上司はもちろん先輩方もとてもフレンドリーで優しい方ばかりです。仕事で使用する知識に関する参考書もいただきましたが、本で調べるよりも周りに聞くことの方が多く、話しかけやすい・教えてもらいやすい雰囲気が職場にはあります。時にはジョークを交えるなど、リラックスした温かい環境の中で働くことができるので、私自身も伸び伸びと仕事に取り組むことができています。また、顧客対応の時を除き、カジュアルな服装で仕事ができることも気に入っています。

私はあまり日本語が上手ではないため、風邪をひいてしまった際など日常生活で心細く思う時もありますが、上司をはじめ職場の皆さんに病院を探すのを手伝ってもらうなど、サポートをいただく機会があります。仕事はもちろん、プライベートの相談もできるなど親切で協力的な職場だと思います。

職場

ワークライフバランスと今後の目標 顧客のビジネスに役立つことで、エンドユーザーの生活もよくしていく

ワークライフバランスと今後の目標

私はサイクリングが大好きで、その他にもパズルやウォーキングなどたくさんの趣味があります。入社前には、趣味など自分の時間を確保できるか心配していた面もありますが、現在は遅くとも午後6時前には仕事を終えてプライベートを楽しんでいます。もちろん、突発的なトラブル対応が求められる時や繁忙期は負荷が高まることも事実ですが、メリハリをつけてワークライフバランスを保つことができています。

現在の目標は、ルネサスの製品を通じて顧客のビジネスに役に立つことで、エンドユーザーの生活をよりよいものに変えていく手助けを、より推進していきたいと考えています。そのためにも、スキルや実務経験を積み、新しいトレンドや新技術などの知見も深め、技術者としてキャリアアップしていきたいです。

1日のスケジュール例

Daily schedule

• 08:45出勤、メールチェック
  • 09:00日本語の学習
  • 09:45部署のオンライン会議
  • 10:00検証・作業
  • 12:00ランチ
  • 13:00検証・作業
  • 17:00部署のオンライン会議
  • 17:30退勤
1日のスケジュール例

チームメンバーと日本語で深いコミュニケーションをとることができるように、朝に日本語の学習をしています。朝のオンライン会議では主にその日の作業計画を共有し、夕方にはその日の進捗状況を報告しています。各自の業務を共有することで、誰かひとりに負荷がかかり過ぎることを防ぐことができます。退勤後はサイクリングなど趣味の時間に充てて、しっかりとリフレッシュするようにしています。

Profile Title: Applications Engineer
Area of study: Electrical & Electronics Engineering

Focused on studies in aerospace engineering and researched satellite control systems. Joined Renesas Electronics to apply engineering skills as well as to further business knowledge and acumen.

Why Renesas Electronics? A company that helps employees achieve both self-growth and work-life balance.

Why Renesas Electronics?Why Renesas Electronics?

It was a long process of job hunting, but when I met my future colleagues at the Renesas Electronics job fair booth, I knew immediately that I wanted to join the company. I was amazed! They were very nice people, and looked extremely happy. I thought to myself, I really want to work there.

Back in Sudan, I had been involved in my country’s first project to launch a cube satellite into space. But as the research and resources in this field were still lacking, after around a year and a half, I decided to further pursue my studies in satellite and space systems by applying for a scholarship to study in Japan.

I admit my fascination with Japan began long before I realized it. When as a child, I watched Arabic dubbed versions of some popular Japanese anime such as Chibi Maruko Chan. At the time, I did not realize those animations were made in Japan, and I only found that out years later. Of course, Japan also boasts trailblazing research in space systems. I joined the University of Tokyo and spent five years completing a Master’s degree in aerospace engineering.

My Master’s research project was about mass properties identification for a debris removing satellite. For my Bachelor’s, I researched on the attitude determination and control system of cube satellites.

My plan to return to Sudan and work on the space satellite project fell through as the funding of the project was terminated. So, I decided to stay in Tokyo and find work.

I decided that perhaps space is not where I should be focusing on, and since I have a background in engineering, I thought I should get some experience in business, learn about the market and how companies work. That’s when I started job hunting, and it was a very long process. My Japanese is not that great, and I think most companies require a certain level of business Japanese.

As an electrical and electronic engineering student I have closely carried out projects using ICs and microcontrollers. So, during job hunting, technology and IoT companies were top on my list. Renesas Electronics is one of the largest semiconductor manufacturers with advanced technological capabilities and I thought I wanted to be part of the wheel that is steering the future innovations in the industry. Workplace culture, environment and work-life balance were some of my biggest concerns at that time. Meeting Renesas employees at one job fair and seeing how comfortable and motivated they were working at the company made me realize this is the kind of place I would like to work. Moreover, they were okay with just a conversational level of Japanese which was a great relief to me.

Job Scope and Motivation Helping customers realize their own applications.

I am a member of the Battery Management Solutions Department and my division specializes in FGIC products which are used to manage the Li-ion Batteries, used in phones, laptops and other industrial products, providing accurate remaining capacity calculations, cell balancing control and monitoring different conditions to ensure safe operation of the battery cells.

Initially, I thought batteries were boring compared to space satellites, but I have since changed my mind; I find them fascinating and interesting now.

We also provide firmware development and software solutions to help the customers realize their own applications using FGICs. The work includes algorithm development and verification, and testing as well. I find the latter interesting since it combines both the software and hardware, and it requires thinking of scenarios & strategies for testing. Trouble-shooting a problem and fixing it gives me a great sense of motivation and accomplishment. It’s just like solving a puzzle!

After you write a code based on certain specifications, you need to make sure that your code is actually working according to those specifications when it is loaded into the IC. Therefore, you will have to come up with a list of items (actions and the expected behavior based on the specifications) to be tested, verify that the code is working properly, and then create some evidence showing that the code meets the specifications. Since you will have to load the code into an IC you will need to set the hardware environment as well, and make sure everything is connected in the right way and to the appropriate voltage/current.

I must admit that I actually like it when things don’t work as planned, because then, there’s a problem for me to solve. If one or more items in the list results were NG, I would like to find out why and fix them by going back to the software and following the transitions until I find the wrong/missing piece of code, then report my findings to the person in charge of the code development. Trouble-shooting and fixing the problem is just like solving a puzzle!

I have been engaged in multiple projects designing and developing the software and verifying the specifications. I am actively trying to gain exposure to different FGIC roles and activities.

Job Scope and MotivationJob Scope and Motivation

Trouble-shooting and fixing
the problem is just like solving a puzzle!

Working Environment A warm atmosphere where one can seek advice from colleagues and managers, even on matters such as life in Japan and private life.

Working Environment

Since joining in April 2020, I have been involved in on the job training and I think it’s a great way to learn and pick up practical skills that will be useful in the future—not just reading theories from books.

My team has around 20 engineers who are very helpful and fun to work with. When I first joined, one of my seniors gave me a reference book on batteries in English. However, I have not been relying on it too much as there’s always someone I can ask.

My mentor is very knowledgeable and speaks very good English. I learn a lot from him. If I don't know how to go about something, I always ask him and he's always happy to help.

People in my workplace joke, including my manager. It helps to create a relaxed and warm atmosphere. I have a friend who works in another company, and their managers sound rather strict; my friend said that her manager would never do that.

My manager is very kind and supportive as well. One time when I fell ill, my manager helped me find a nearby clinic and accompanied me there and to the pharmacy, because I was worried about my Japanese speaking abilities.

The only time I felt there was a language barrier at work was during one of the new employee training programs where the topic was business related and all group conversations and discussions were in Japanese.

I’m working on my Japanese proficiency, and my manager allows me to spend 30 minutes of my workday studying the language.

My team has a daily morning meeting where everyone announces their plans for the day, and an evening meeting where they update on their progress.

Sometimes I have a couple of tasks going on simultaneously in case one of them is a little dry or mundane. I can switch tasks if I get bored.

Working Environment

Work-Life Balance and Career Path Improving end-users’ lives by supporting customers’ businesses.

Work-Life Balance and Career Path

I love cycling, walking, and solving puzzles even outside of work. I was a little concerned that working hours may be long, but now I finish work before 6pm and I don’t really have strict deadlines.

Work-life balance is very important for me. The environment as well; the type of people around me can affect my performance. If the people are uptight or not nice or if the environment is toxic, it is not worth it! Such an environment will increase my stress and anxiety and degrade my mental health greatly! I am glad that here, at Renesas, I don’t have to worry about such stress.

If I’m struggling, it’s ok to take more time as I’m a new hire, and I’m not working on projects with high priorities or strict deadlines, right now.

As for one of my career goals, I would like to help create positive impact, supporting the customers in realizing their own goals, and improving peoples’ lives through improving Renesas products.

However, given the fact that I have just joined the company this year, I still have a long way to go to learn and gain new skills and experiences. I think that the FGIC market is flourishing due to the impact of Covid-19. It means many people work remotely using laptop PCs, and that trend will probably continue to grow. So, I would like to deepen my knowledge of FGIC products, their hardware and software development. I also want to know more about the market and the new trends and technologies. Since I am interested in AI, I would like to get engaged in something related to this technology, if I find the opportunity.

My advice to jobseekers is this. If you want to have a good learning experience, a good workplace, a good work-life balance, along with a supportive environment then Renesas Electronics is a good place to work.

Last but not least, one other aspect that I like about my work is the casual dress code. I don’t have to wear suits. I can wear what I’m comfortable in, so that’s great too.

Typical Schedule

Daily schedule

• 08:45Check email
  • 09:00Study Japanese
  • 09:45Join department online meeting, report their work plan for the day
  • 10:00Work on projects, algorithms
  • 12:00Lunch break
  • 13:00Continue working on projects
  • 17:00Join department online meeting, report on progress on work
  • 17:30Log off from work
Typical Schedule

I start the day with 30 minutes of Japanese language self-study to improve communication with my colleagues. Then it’s time for the morning meeting where goals are set – working on projects and solving problems with programming and algorithms. Time flies as I like it when things don’t go as planned, meaning there’s a challenge at hand. Before I realize it, it’s nearly 5pm and time for the evening meeting where I update my colleagues with my work progress. This is when I can seek advice or help with my projects. Then, it’s the end of the workday, and I enjoy outdoor activities such as trekking or cycling, and of course, mind puzzles to keep my problem solving skills sharp!